Thursday, March 19, 2015

Made! - Butterick 6168

The university has been on spring break this week. Though there's that psychological thing that always makes you excited to not have to go to work, I must say that we needed to be in class this week. We already missed a week's worth for the blizzard, and by God I need to talk to the students about Beethoven!

Anyway, I've had time to practice and sew, so here's what I've been working on...

 Butterick 6168, one of the Lisette patterns. I haven't made any of these before, and honestly this is the only one I own because it's the only one I like. (Sorry, Lisette, whoever you are.)

The fabric isn't shiny shantung, I promise!
I used some mystery fabric I had in the stash. Whatever it is, it's great for hot weather as it's very lightweight and a little see-through. The weave, which alternates between a soft grey-blue and a darker blue, gives it an overall sheen effect, which you can see in the photo above.


I'm glad I checked the design measurements against what the pattern envelope suggests I cut, as I should have cut a 12 but ended up cutting a size 8! I graded to a 10 at the hips, but if I make this again - highly likely, but a little longer length - I'll grade to a 10 at the waist. 

I'm stoked about the fit of this top in the bodice. I guessed on certain adjustments, like slightly raising the armholes and lengthening the torso, and it worked out! The fit through the upper back is really lovely, if I can say so myself. 

In fact, my only issue with the pattern is that I think it has too many gathers in the front under the center band. See? Even the model on the envelope looks a little funny...


You can really tell from the side view just how over-gathered the top is. I ignored my instincts and instead of taking out width I made it as-is. Clearly, the universe is telling me to follow my gut more often. And I don't mean that in a way that would fill out those gathers.  You can also tell how I scooped the hem a little bit. 


Considering adding a hem band for length with the scrap I have left...


The QUILT

Yes, the quilt is still happening even though you'll see other projects come up on the blog. I try to do something on it each day. Today was a big one, though - woke up at 6am to piece the back, add the batting and back to the front, and hand-baste through all layers so I can start the arduous process of hand-quilting the beast whenever I'd like.

From this point on you will only see stealthy pictures, as this is meant to be a gift.
Top, batting, light blue backing fabric

Another long term project:
Remember when I mentioned that husband and I are lucky enough to get our families together in May? Naturally, I'm making a dress. I'm combining two patterns to make a floor-length one shoulder gown that will have beading on the bodice. It's gonna take a while. So, the next project for me is to make a (hopefully) wearable muslin to spot those fitting issues before I cut into the gorgeous chiffon I bought last year in Mexico. :)