Sunday, May 17, 2015

Pretty Mini Gable Boxes

With the Family Gathering getting closer by the day (it's this Saturday, yay!!!!!!) I've been busy occupying myself with small projects that will make the event pretty and personal.

Since everyone will get little trinkets from TN (especially since so many of them are coming from 2,000 miles away) I thought having cute little gift boxes would be nice.

I delightedly sat down yesterday morning with some Ghost Adventures to decide how to personalize them. Here's what I came up with:



Here's how to do it.

Wrapped Mini Gable Boxes

Here's what you need:
1. pretty paper for wrapping
2. mini gable boxes
3. scissors
4. glue stick
5. tape

I purchased the mini gable boxes at Hobby Lobby.  Since I had a coupon I got this pack of 10 for $2.

Here's what you need to do:

1. Cut your pretty paper into strips approximately 5" x 13".  


The paper I'm using is from a special booklet I purchased just for the making of Family Gathering crafts from Paper Source, otherwise known as the most amazing store on the planet and it's a good thing there isn't one within driving distance from me. 
I bought a booklet of specialty papers called Turkish Designs Wrapping Paper Book. You can check it out here.  I used a different pattern of paper for accents in the invitations, which I foolishly never took pictures of before mailing. I was too excited to get them sent. DOH!

Anyway, any pretty paper will do, but since the papers in this book are folded into fourths before binding, all you have to do is cut each fourth in half hot-dog-style and you have a perfectly sized strip for this project.

2.  Fold under one of the raw edges about 1/4 of an inch. 


3. Starting on one of the shorter ends, apply glue to the box up to the crease that creates the gable top.  As you can tell in the finished photo, you are treating the gable box as if the top gable doesn't exist.  Line up the folded edge of the paper with the top crease so that the extra paper extends towards the bottom of the box. The glue should hold, but I like to also tape the raw edge of the paper to the box, especially since it will be covered up later. You can see the paper alignment in the photo above.

4.  Continue applying glue to the box and wrapping the paper around in whatever direction is most comfortable. 


As you are doing this, you will want to start folding in the corners of excess paper on the bottom of the box, just like you would if you were wrapping a gift of normal shape. (Folding it in now makes it much easier to enclose the bottom later on. TRUST ME.)

5. Once you get all the way around, you should have something that looks like this.

You can see the taped edge on the side and the folded corners on the bottom.

6.  Tape up the bottom corners the way you would when wrapping a box and you're done!

Yay!! Pretty mini gable box!

For the Family Gathering, I used two different papers to cover the boxes. The other one will remain a surprise...for now. :)