Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Another LTP and a dress in progress

The absence of activity here at Creative Laurels is indicative of how busy things have been for me lately, in both artistic and professional obligations.

I started planning Christmas gifts in September, and those have been going on in the background since that time. Now, they're where most of my making energy goes, but of course I don't want to share too much of that for fear of spoiling surprises on Christmas morning.

This year's LTP (Long Term Project) is something I've been thinking about for a while and finally found time -slash am bending time to my will- to make. This is my second venture into this type of project, so it feels less daunting, but it's by no means less work. I can tell I'm already behind, and that once the academic semester is over, I will spend my days finishing this up before seeing family.

Here are some teasers...

Hundreds of little squares. So many squares.

Some top-stitching at adjoining pieces.

Mama's helper
 And a perfect fabric for a family who unapologetically loves scatological humor:

There's something about such a HUGE project that makes me welcome something with smaller pieces in the foreground. I decided to use a TNT Burda pattern to make another dress from a mix of fabrics. Here's a reminder of the first version, which I still wear all the time.

A few things have changed this go-round (not including about 12 more inches of hair and slightly less toned arms), but I'm using the same faux leather for the arm bands. Here is a shot of the bodice of my new version.

The light fabric has a subtle zebra print, and the batik on the sides is an interesting citrine/sand blend. Not my usual color palette, but one that caught my eye immediately!

I underlined the bodice (hence the orange basting you can see), and serged the pieces together before construction.

I decided that, since I'm really comfortable with this pattern and previously spent a long time on fit, that I will put time into finishings this go-round.  The raw edges are all serged, and I'm whipstitching them to the underlining, as I'm one of those people that gets bent out of shape when her seam allowances are bent out of shape. 

So, that's what's been happening sewing-wise around here. 

There are two in-progress knitting projects as well, one that's taking forever and one that's intended to be for Christmas but may not make it, depending on time. 

There's also a plan for some beading: supplies are bought, but this is another time-sensitive project.

Performing this semester has been more active than others, especially in terms of taking me away from home. In addition to a TN tour with my new chamber music duo L+M Duo, I gave a masterclass in western VA, L+M played Chicago, and husband and I attended PASIC, the Percussive Arts Society International Convention. All of this on top of teaching at the university, accompanying students, co-hosting our weekly podcast, and training for a half-marathon (which I'll run next weekend).  

As usual, there's been some making even when there's not much evidence of it here on the blog. No worries, though, all will be revealed in good time.  :)