Saturday, January 5, 2019

Made! - McCall's 6941

For Robin's first Halloween I had the grand plans of making him a dragon costume and myself a Daenaerys get-up, but then the universe had a laugh at me thinking I had time for such things.


So, I made a work-appropriate Daenaerys-inspired midi skirt instead.


I used M6941 and not only blended sizes to make a skirt that fit, but completely redrafted the top 4 inches to fit my new post-baby shape.  I'm one of the [un]lucky ones dealing with Diastasis Recti, (fancy words for abs that didn't heal together properly after birth), which means I perpetually look about 16 weeks pregnant. It also means, that in the world of sewing and pattern shapes, my skirt fronts are now wider than my skirt backs, which is backwards to what I'm used to seeing.  I'm doing...alright...with the adjustment.  The hardest part is having the patience with not being able to do certain exercises that were my favorites and go-tos before pregnancy.


I added a lining to the skirt out of mystery material I found at Walmart. Isn't it great, though? It's a great color and great hand to support the other mystery material that forms the outside.  The color is a soft lavender blush - it's super feminine and not something I'd usually pick, but I actually really like it!


A mistake in construction led me to not include the overlay in the side zip, so it now floats on top rather than being part of the seam. It doesn't bother me. I extended the waistband in order to add some buttons, as you do when you love buttons.

The skirt back ended up a little gathered, but again, not a thing that bothers me. A little while ago it would have, but considering the other things I'm accepting these days (like always looking a little pregnant) it isn't a big deal.

This skirt went from being planned as part of a Halloween costume, then as a Christmas outfit, and when that didn't happen either it became a "Robin's First Birthday" skirt, and I'm happy to say that deadline I did meet! I finished it January 4 and he will turn one (OMGWHEREHASTHETIMEGONE) on January 14.