Friday, May 16, 2014

Made!: Summer Separates

After a string of dresses requiring LOTS of adjustments, I needed to cleanse myself with some simple, easy makes. After looking through my patterns I chose to use McCall's 6965 for the shorts and Simplicity 1690 for the top.



Bi-silhouetted short/skirt:  McCall's 6995

In all honesty, the shorts are a wearable muslin.  I knew before I started that the fabric was a bit too thick and stiff for this style, but I made 'em anyway. The structure of this fabric will look super cute with a snug top tucked in. I don't necessary like this Simplicity top with them, but I figured I could take photos of both at the same time so here we are.

Goofy face because of finals week at the university
I followed my gut and added a full inch to the crotch length of these shorts. That sounds absolutely disgusting and weird, but my torso is extra long; heretofore if my shorts are going to be high-waisted as prescribed in the style there will have to be length added. I also cut a size bigger at the side seams just to be safe, but it turns out I didn't need to. Yes!!!

In the future I may take a little bit of the volume out of the shorts. I know it's part of what makes them unique, but I'm not sure it suits me. 
mmm...yeah, don't know about that. 


The most magnificent top to make, ever:  Simplicity 1690

Though I have wishy-washy feelings about the shorts, I AM IN LOVE WITH THIS TOP PATTERN. It is 3 pieces: front, back, bias binding at the neck. I cut a size 12, and other than my usual torso lengthening I didn't have to change anything! It's even a flattering length when I wear it untucked, and that is hard to do. 
The simple silhouette and comfortable, breezy neckline made sewing and then wearing this top an absolute dream.

Plus, knowing that I spent a measley $2.00 on the fabric and $1 on the pattern makes me feel like I WON.

I made one small design change, and you can see it really well in this photo - 


Instead of sewing straight from the neck to the arm, I decided to add 3 little buttons along the seamline. And they are functioning buttons, none of those fake ya out buttons I see in stores nowadays.  (Husband laughs at me because I have a pseudo-alarming affinity for buttons.)

It's a small detail, but I think it makes the top special. And, now that my hair is short, they are always visible! The above photo also shows you the texture of the fabric. It's thin and has tiny metallic threads running through it. 


Gettin' all fancy

Husband and I went to a banquet for our department at the university, and I used the event as an opportunity to wear some of my makes. I paired this top with a skirt I made a few years ago for a cruise. The slim Victorian style of the skirt paired well with the easy silhouette of this top. Note, please, that the pink dot on the skirt is actually a button.  Buttons are a long-standing obsession of mine. 


On me: Simplicity 1690, some McCall's costume pattern, clutch from Lancome (thanks, Mom)

On husband: store-bought pants and undershirt, button-up I made for him when we eloped


lovelovelove