Saturday, August 22, 2015

Made! - Simplicity 6977 (a commission in strawberries!!)

I am beyond delighted to share my first commissioned dress! Isn't it adorable?

I wish I could take credit for picking out a fabric such as this, but alas, that all goes to the lovely lady I made this for.  I used Simplicity 6977, the same vintage pattern I used for my most recent dress excursion.

Since it's published in the 1960s, it comes from the time when they printed one size per envelope, which meant I had to do lots of grading and drafting on my own to fit the measurements needed. I'm pleased with the dart and armscye changes I made.  I also lowered the front neckline another 3/4 inch.

It's a high-quality quilting cotton, which works with this silhouette.  We took some length off, taking it from a midi-length to a mid-thigh length dress.  Since this cotton doesn't have a lot of drape, it complements the short shape.

I changed the back from open above the yoke to a v-neck, which I think will be very comfortable.  I also decided on a lapped zipper application rather than a centered one.  For whatever reason, I hate sewing centered zips.  It makes no sense to me.

For each dress pattern I pick up that has a center back zip, I immediately figure out if it can be moved to the side without much fuss.  And usually, it can! Phew!!

These photos are coming to you courtesy of our little sunroom.  We look forward to fall mornings and evenings when we can dine out here. :)

I hope that the recipient of this dress enjoys wearing it - I certainly enjoyed making it!