Sunday, October 25, 2015

Made! - Butterick 5660

I have a super-quick make to share today. I think from the first thought of "I could make those" to when they were finished was less than 3 hours.

For our neighbors, who got married in September, I finally got around to making them a little something to say "Yay, love!"

Using Butterick 5660 as a guide, I made them a hot pad and two pot holders out of strawberry cotton. (Which, if you follow the blog, you may recognize.) :)

Pot holders! After taking this photo I added loops to a corner on each to make them easy to hang.

There's a little seam about 1/3 away from one of the sides, which makes for an easy pocket to put your hand in. In the photo above, you can see my fingers pushing against the seam with my thumb on the other side of it. It makes it really easy to manipulate the pot holder into shape around any size handle. Plus, with a pocket, your fingers won't accidentally touch the hot pan/pot/whatever.

The only change I made from the pattern was to stitch an "X" to sandwich the back, batting, and front fabrics together. The pattern says to stitch multiple lines 1" apart, but I wasn't in the mood.

I made a slightly different change to the quilting stitches on the hot pad; except, rather than going for a diagonal, I just spaced out a few lines instead.

The quilting lines are hard to see, but there's one underneath the monogram, in the center, and near the top.

The binding for each item is single-fold bias tape that I had in my stash. Luckily it complements the strawberries well.

I also cut a short length of bias tape to use as a little monogram for our neighbors' names: Dustin and Kristin. I think it's really cute. :)

Hopefully I'll be able to deliver these to them today!