Monday, December 28, 2015

Made! - Simplicity 1690 presents

Simplicity 1690 is amazing.

I've made two tops for myself, one for my sister, one for my mom, and now I can add to it these two.  



It's a simple pattern, but I'm thinking that may be why I like it so much!  Its design simplicity allows me to practice other techniques, like perfect narrow French seams and bindings that lay flat.

 The top, with its slightly elongated shoulders, works easily under a cardigan for colder weather or by itself when things turn warm. (I'm looking at you, spring...) 

I think - and I'm hoping... - that this pattern is a nice one for gifts because there's such minimal fitting involved.  If the fabric drapes well enough it will fall nicely, and the only things to worry about are the neck and shoulder lines.  

For my mother-in-law I couldn't pass up this silk crepe covered in kitties. Who makes silk crepe and covers it in kitties??? Anyway, I found it while visiting family in Utah and have been hoarding it so I could make a present for her.


This top drapes beautifully. I fully anticipate that this top will get wear as a pajama top, and that's fine by me. I wear some of my favorite t-shirts/tops to sleep. Something about it is comforting. :)

The other top I'm giving away this Christmas is one of chiffon with subtle silver accents.  

The neck binding got a little gathered for my taste, but in a way it makes the rest of the top fall in a way that will frame the shoulders, which I think will be really flattering.

I double-stitched the sleeves on this version.


I made the chiffon version first, and followed the instructions.  The kitty top came second and I decided to fold up the sleeve hem before stitching the side seams.  This makes using French seams much easier, and they press really well, too.

I look forward to buying fabric on family travels over the holidays!