Monday, April 11, 2016

Made! - M6613

After spending many hours creating a custom fit shirt sloper for my husband, I thought it was about time to make one for myself! So, when I came across M6613 during one of JoAnn's stellar pattern sales, I decided to snatch it up as a base shape.



I knew there would be lots of ease, since it's somewhat of a unisex pattern. (The line drawings make it look like there will be separate pieces for men and women, but that's a bag of lies...you have to do all of that in the fitting yourself.)

What I'm wearing here is my muslin, with no changes. I figured it's best to see what I'm working with before hacking it to pieces, no?  Seems I've got my work cut out for me! I wore it to work today with my Easter skirt.


For work I styled it differently, but here she is.
I got lots of compliments on my outfit, so I guess it looks alright!


As expected, there's a lot of room in the back, but I think I like that. My typical beef with button-ups is that there's not enough ease for me to actually move my arms. For my next version, I'll take some width out of the back beneath the yoke, so there's a slimmer silhouette but still wiggle room.

It's nice that the armscye is generous, but I think I will raise it a tad.  There's an opportunity for some work with the bust as well, but I'll talk more about changes when I make the shirt out of its intended fabric!

cat butt. she's not sorry.
I love this chambray so much that I decided no matter how it fits I'd make it right, complete with edgestitching and finished seams.

Inverted pleat for ease
The piece consists of two pieces, which are supposed to meet the yoke seam. Oops.


This shirt is nice and long, and I like it styled down, untucked. You'll notice that I'm short on buttons. I have so many that I refused to buy more for what began as just a muslin. So, I used four that were lying around and will purchase additional ones later.



I'll leave you with a picture with LooCat, who did not want to be photographed.

"Noooooo, Momma pleeeeeease....."
I'll catalog all my changes to the base pattern once I get working on the next shirt! It's exciting to think I'll have a sloper that fits me perfectly! Yay!