Sunday, July 24, 2016

Made! - McCalls 6952

McCalls 6952, labeled as an Easy pattern, was just that.  It's a princess seamed, sleeveless dress in different lengths. I decided mine should be a maxi, and reach the floor when wearing flats.



The fabric was purchased a few years ago on a trip to Mexico, and I looooooooove it.  I was drawn to each color in the stripes, but particularly how they are laid out together.  The dress is cut on the crossgrain so the stripes are running vertically, and I had to let go of stripe matching, and aimed instead for straight grainlines.



I used some organza as the neck and armhole facings, though if I make this again I will use bias strips instead. The facings are thin and therefore don't show through, but I don't like having to think about it.





I ran each seam through the serger after basting the dress together for fit.  Upon looking at the measurements I would up cutting a size 10 with a size 10/12 at the bust.  In the future I may go to a full size 12 in the torso, as I would like just a tad more breathing room.

a blurry but truer representation of thecolors :)
I wore this dress to two weddings in Boston earlier this month, and received compliments from both guys and gals, so I think it's a successful garment!  You can be sure I'll take this on vacation later this summer!


It has the LooCat seal of approval!