Saturday, August 13, 2016

Made! - Ginger/Simplicity 1373 Shorts

This is the second go-round of this pattern hack, and I made a few adjustments.  Not too many pictures, as there are only so many ways to examine simple black shorts. :)


Mostly, I wanted to increase the comfort level. We all know shorts that don't fit *just right* end up bothering you with wedgie occurrences every time you sit or stand up. I made some adjustments to fix that this time around; namely, increasing the crotch length, which sounds disgusting (and may end up with some weird blog traffic thanksGoogle) but essentially means I lengthened the curve that has to go around my body at the center seam.


I shortened the back yoke to fit my curvy swayback.



Otherwise, I kept my hack the same as the first time, following the Ginger instructions. Simplicity 1373 served only as a guide to the length and shape of the legs. I wound up not topstitching each seam, as I wanted these to pass as "nice" shorts rather than casual ones.  The fabric is a moderate stretch cotton sateen, which makes for a clean, finished look.



I installed a pocket stay, as these are high-waisted and I'd like as much help as possible in the flat tummy department.  (There are great pocket stay instructions on the Closet Case Files blog.)  I used cotton remnants in my stash for the pockets, so there's a glorious mismatch on the inside of the shorts. To me this represents my true self: might look fancy on the outside, but the inside is a little goofy, hahahaha

The button is one originally intended for a wool cape, but those plans got derailed a few years ago. That being said, I love it and it works really well on this garment!



I've worn these shorts many, many times - including flights and a day at Universal Studios - since finishing them, which means I've washed them several times, and am happy to report they still fit.  I always pre-wash and high-dry my fabrics to prevent future misfitting, but part of me still worries about it.  Luckily (or unluckily?) I'm the only person in my house that does laundry, so I don't have to worry about someone else's good intentions ruining one of my outfits. ;)