Thursday, May 24, 2018

Quilt Photos - Finally!!

A year and a half after it was introduced in this post and gifted the following Christmas, I have finally captured pictures of the quilt I made for my sister and her husband.


The pattern is called Retro from Simply Retro, by Camille Roskelley.  I chose fabrics based on what I recalled as some of my sister's favorite colors, as well as the style of her mid-century home.  Between the two of us, she's much more likely to actually spend time outfitting her home, while being thrifty in the process. I wish I was more like that! I'm willing to put up with "cheap" until it falls apart - guess I haven't lost that whole living-like-a-grad-student thing...Anyway!

an accurate representation of the colors

I chose turquoise, white, brown, orange, cream, navy plaid, and a retro Kellogg print for this quilt.  The front is predominately turquoise and white, and the plaid is featured on the back, should she ever want to change it up.


I thought a pieced section on the back would add interest - no pattern for this part, just made it up with whatever I had left.



The front features a border edge, which isn't part of Camille's pattern.  I pieced two opposing corners, as I ran out of the Kellogg print.



I rather like the mushroom fabric featured in the contrast block!


It's hard to believe I finished this almost 2 years ago.  I remember sitting on the floor, battling to keep the cat off of it, frantically hand quilting before husband and I left to visit family for Christmas.  I worked on this baby for months!  I know some folks can get crazy with hand quilting, or are willing to pay someone to longarm quilt for them, but I'll probably always stick to my simple straight lines that match the pieces.  It keeps it a bit more meditative and less stressful!

As usual there's been quite a bit of making around here lately, just not lots of sharing about it. Hopefully I will get all caught up here on the blog soon!